Scientist, Chemical Engineering
Arzeda, The Protein Design Company is seeking a top-notch Scientist/Engineer who has a passion for developing scalable downstream processes for the industrial production of enzymes and chemicals. Arzeda is a world-leader in protein design and synthetic biology. Leveraging our core expertise in structured-based computational protein design, machine learning and high-throughput testing, we design novel proteins and bio-catalytic processes for the sustainable production of performance ingredients and materials. A deep tech, mission-driven company, we are passionate about our mission to design novel proteins and products that enhance our lives and protect our planet.
Supporting this effort is the downstream processing group that demonstrates commercial potential. This group includes enzyme recovery and purification, enzyme reaction testing, product separations, and evaluation of quality to meet customer needs. Analytics here run up to 500 samples per week and samples up to 1 kg scale are generated.
As Scientist/Engineer you will be responsible to:
- Optimize biocatalytic reaction conditions and perform enzyme-based biosynthesis at lab scale (0.1L to 10L)
- Perform separations of enzymes, sugars and other natural products by membrane filtrations, adsorption, crystallization and other methods.
- Perform analytical methods to quantify the yield, activity, and purity of the reaction process
- Maintain a high degree of accuracy and meticulous attention to detail in both laboratory techniques and documentation
- Champion a safety mindset.
- BS, MS or PhD in chemical or biochemical engineering or a relevant discipline, with 1-5 years of industry experience
- Strong technical background and direct hands-on experience in enzyme-based catalysis
- Familiar with downstream processing unit operations such as chromatography, centrifugation, homogenization, membrane filtration, adsorption, crystallization and other methods
- Ability to examine critically data to ensure robust repeatable measurements
- Ability to problem solve and troubleshoot
- A desire to contribute to cutting edge work in the field of sustainable ingredients and health & nutrition
- Ability to prioritize responsibilities, multi-task and remain flexible with changing needs
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills (oral and written)
- Strong work ethic and business ethics
- Experience with immobilization or encapsulation of biocatalyst or whole cell reactions
- Familiar with aseptic technique
For further information about this position and to apply please send your CV and a cover letter to "jobs [at] arzeda.com" with the subject line “Scientist, Chemical Engineering”.
Arzeda Corp. (www.arzeda.com) is an equal opportunity employer promoting diversity and inclusion in the workspace.