Director/Associate Director, Chemical Engineering
Arzeda, The Protein Design Company is seeking a Director/Associate Director who has a passion for developing scalable downstream processes for the industrial production of enzymes and chemicals. Arzeda is a world-leader in protein design and synthetic biology. Leveraging our core expertise in structured-based computational protein design, machine learning and high-throughput testing, we design novel proteins and bio-catalytic processes for the sustainable production of performance ingredients and materials. A deep tech, mission-driven company, we are passionate about our mission to design novel proteins and products that enhance our lives and protect our planet.
Supporting this effort is the downstream processing group that demonstrates commercial potential. This group includes enzyme recovery and purification, enzyme reaction testing, product separations, and evaluation of quality to meet customer needs. Analytics here run up to 500 samples per week and samples up to 1 kg scale are generated.
In the role of Director/Associate Director you will be responsible for:
- Play a leading role in the optimization and development of biomanufacturing processes for enzymes as well as using enzymes for use in the production of several healthy food ingredients.
- Develop, adapt and trouble-shoot research methods (HPLC, GC, enzyme activity assays or other relevant techniques) for monitoring yield, activity, and purity at various stages of the process development and manufacturing process of enzymes and enzyme-conversion products.
- Develop protocols for and oversee operation of membrane separation/enzyme reactions at the bench scale (0.1 to 10 L).
- Perform large scale chromatography.
- Championing a safety mindset.
- Mentoring and training of research associates.
- Coordination with business and technical groups to produce purified enzymes or ingredients to support activities such as formulation/application development and business outreach.
- Effective communication with technical and business-oriented audiences within the company through presentations and written reports.
- PhD in chemical or biochemical engineering or a relevant discipline, with 5-10 years of industry experience
- Strong technical background and direct hands-on experience with analytical methods and instruments such as HPLC, GC, enzyme assays, etc
- Familiar with enzyme separation (using downstream processing unit operations such as chromatography, centrifugation, homogenization, membrane filtration – for example depth filtration, sterile filtration, ultrafiltration, tangential flow filtration) and enzymatic or chemical reactions (ideally at 0.1 to 10 liter scale)
- Ability to examine critically data to ensure robust repeatable measurements
- Ability to problem solve and trouble-shoot
- A desire to contribute to cutting edge work in the field of sustainable ingredients, health and nutrition
- Ability to prioritize responsibilities, multi-task and remain flexible with changing needs
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills (oral and written)
- Strong work ethic and business ethics
- Experience with whey processing; downstream processing of sugars; hands-on knowledge of other enzyme-based manufacturing processes; and/or scale-up or commercialization experience for a biomanufacturing process
- Understanding of engineering issues related to process scale up and ability to apply both practical and analytical skills to implement relevant scale down models
- Experience with DOE and statistical analysis is desired
- Familiar with aseptic technique
For further information about this position and to apply please send your CV and a cover letter to "jobs [at] arzeda.com" with the subject line “Director/Associate Director, Chemical Engineering”.
Arzeda Corp. (www.arzeda.com) is an equal opportunity employer promoting diversity and inclusion in the workspace.